Job Description and Function:
Reporting to the Waterjet Engineering Manager, the Waterjet Project Engineer (PE) will be responsible for evaluating customer drawings, models, and specifications to determine the most efficient machining process, by utilizing lean concepts and continuous improvement methods, to manufacture high quality products. Specifies and develops operational sequence, manufacturing methods, details, tooling, and all items needed to achieve manufacturing goals according to product specification. Work hands-on, interacting with shop floor personnel and process specialists, to ensure lean plans are created and implemented. As the part owner, work with various teams to assure all requirements are met and are up to standards to support our goals of quality, cost and delivery.
- Identify and understand all customer requirements from Purchase Orders (PO), blueprints, specifications, or other customer supplied information
- Review Purchase Order requirements using internal system and manage flow down of technical information
- Develop, prepare, and maintain process routings and operation instructions based on all internal and customer requirements
- Assist in the QE in the development of inspection process instructions and providing input for the proper inspection equipment, methods and frequency
- Request all required tooling, gaging, electrodes, programs, plated grinding wheels, diamond rolls, airflow molds, etc. to initiate processing
- Identify and implement manufacturing processes improvements in order to increase efficiency, product quality, and reduce costs
- Provide technical support and communicate with shop floor personal effectively on a daily basis
- Assist in developing and approval of Special Handling instructions when product needs rework
- Quote work based on requirements including small lot fees and expedite charges with guidance from the Waterjet Engineering Manager
- Provide support for root cause analysis and change implementation using tools such as FMEA, DMAIC, PDCA, 5 WHY,
- Engage in legacy part review to ensure processes and instructions are up to our current standards
- Review jobs to ensure profitability and on time delivery
- Assist cell leader and/or process specialist in troubleshooting production floor issues
- Implement and ensure solutions achieve required quality levels, reliability, and consistency in a cost-effective manner
- Assist QE with obtaining part samples for metallurgical evaluation labs and review results
- Communicate directly with Customer on engineering specific issues or new part development when guided and approved by the Waterjet Engineering Manager
- Attend customer meetings (kick off, coordination review, and close out)
- Assist in training of new or existing team members
- Adhere to AS9100, Nadcap, and other quality standards
- Perform miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and
Required Education and Skillset:
- Must meet one of the education or education + experience requirements below:
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or related field
- Associate’s degree in manufacturing engineering or related field with 5+ years manufacturing experience
- HS diploma/equivalent with 10+ years manufacturing experience
- Knowledge of conventional machining, nonconventional machining, and inspection methods
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and an understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Intermediate knowledge of lean manufacturing principles
- Must be able to use standard gauges (micrometers, height gauges, calipers, )
- CAD software (NX, AutoCAD, or similar)
- Intermediate ability to process and communicate information using Microsoft Office products
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects
- Must be organized and committed to meeting deadlines
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills
- Work without direct supervision
- Excellent speaking, listening, comprehension, and written communication skills in English
- Six Sigma Green Belt or similar training
- Understanding of quality systems such as AS9100, ISO and NADCAP
- Must meet ITAR definition of US Person (documentation required)
- MTI is a safety sensitive manufacturer. As such, successful results of pre-employment drug screening will be required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, use hands, reach with hands and arms, move throughout the facility, and communicate. Work in office environment and use of computer (typical 2-button scroll mouse and keyboard – 75% of the work day). The employee must frequently lift/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment may be loud. Must be able to use required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work in a supportive team environment that is fast paced with a strong commitment to accountability.
This posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required in this job.
To apply, please submit your resume noting job inquiry #415900822WJ to the Human Resources Department at: email@example.com.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetics, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Will remain posted until filled.